Wednesday, 15 October 2014

Week 6 - Pls midterm y u do this

First things first, I've received my midterm back and boy do I feel stupid. 26.5 out of 38. Hoooorrrible, simply because the class average was in the 80s, meaning I'm horribly behind in the bell curve. But, I feel that it wasn't my lack of understanding of course concepts but mainly due to the way I answered a couple of questions. When the question asked me to explain my reasoning, I simply restated the statement in normal words instead of symbolic form. Absolutely idiotic, and I suppose I've learned the lesson the hard way. 

Anyhow, I'm going to delay the problem solving sLOG until after midterms when things die down a little bit. I've been reviewing the slides for past few lectures and I think I'm starting to get a hang of it. I'm still a bit unused to the format which we use to write proofs, however I understand the reasoning and logic for how to prove certain relationships (Direct proof, contradiction, etc.) However, I am having some issues with the recent lecture about limits. I'm planning to check out Prof. Heap's lecture slides and ask questions during tutorial next week for more clarity. 

One thing I found interesting though is that I never knew the floor function that we recently learned was originally a math symbol. I always thought it was created by programmers as I first learned of its use in programming languages such as Java. Apparently next week, we go through abit more proofs, but I'm more excited about learning about algorithm complexity and such. I've always been interested in those types of things despite being a commerce major. Nonetheless, I shall continue to work hard and hopefully get around that 80% median, or at least qualify for the Comp. Sci. minor.

1 comment:

  1. I got a ton of marks off on one concept that's not clearly explained, i'm not sure about that

    ReplyDelete